The Patricia Behring
Teacher of the Year Award
The Patricia Behring Teacher of the Year Award recognizes outstanding NHD educators. Each affiliate selects a junior- and senior-division recipient, who receive a $500 cash prize. The names of these individuals are advanced by the state coordinator for competition at the national level. Junior- and senior-division winners of the national Behring Award each receive $10,000.
Port St. Lucie High School, Port St. Lucie (St. Lucie)
Ms. Arendas teaches tenth-grade world history. She has participated in Florida History Fair for eleven years.
Fairview Middle School, Tallahassee (Leon)
Ms. Study teaches sixth-grade world cultures and social studies. She has participated in Florida History Fair for twenty-six years.
F. W. Springstead High School, Spring Hill (Hernando)
Ms. Bates-Miranda teaches ninth- and tenth-grade world history and AP European history at F. W. Springstead High School. She has participated in FHF for fourteen years.
Merritt Brown Middle School, Panama City (Bay)
Ms. Sermons teaches eighth-grade U.S. history at Merritt Brown Middle School. She has participated in FHF for eighteen years.
- A documented commitment to student-led historical research
- Evidence of creativity in the classroom that exceeds expected participation in NHD
- See examples of eligibility criteria
- Nomination cover sheet
- Nominee's resume (1 page)
- Testimonial about the impact of NHD on a class or individual student (1-3 pages)
- Letter of recommendation from an immediate supervisor, district coordinator, or parent.
Applications must be mailed or emailed to the FHF State Coordinator by March 15, 2012.Nomination cover sheet for the Patricia Behring Award